Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cicadas by Sheldon and Chryslyn

While in Paraguay, we were subject to the season of cicadas. A cicada is a fairly good size bug the breeds for a short amount of time and during this time is extremely loud. I think they sound like an electrical plant. We have them in Indiana as well. They have an interesting story that I do not know well...I believe the eggs are in the ground, they climb up trees when they have hatched, then shed a layer, and they can then fly around. I do not believe that they live for very long and Sheldon claims that if you clap loudly by one of the males making the loud sound that they will stop because they will think you are a female. Look it up if you want a more complete and accurate description.

Anyways, one night Sheldon and/or Chryslyn went out a captured the cicadas in action as they lost their skin. I though they were great pictures and want to share them.



5 comments:

Susan said...

Once I did a reader's theatre with some students, and one of the characters was a cicada. I never knew what it was. So thanks for clearing that up. :)

Anyways, it was nice chatting last night! And I will be sure to blog soon to keep up with you. Oh, and I would love it if you sent me the files from Paraguay. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Hillary said...

Amber. These photos are great. Chryslyn tells me you guys had quite the adventure. Glad to see you posting again.

tman said...

Hey!

So your beautiful and intelligent and well-spoken sister presented on Paraguay to my students Friday morning. She put together a great ppt of pics from the trip, and also brought in her bug collection. The kids (about 60 grade 8s) were fascinated.... they were much more well-behaved and seemingly interested than they ever are when I'm teaching them ;-) Maybe Chryslyn chose the wrong profession. She was a natural... Not showing any signs of nervousness like I did when I first started teaching.

After her presentation, we all headed down to the kitchen to make chipas and mennonite sausage and to pass around the terrerre. Drinking that was a bit of a fear factor thing for the kids... pretty funny.

Chryslyn said...

Hey Amber! I guess Tav beat me to the punch.... When I checked your blog I was like ohhhhh the cicada's. They are such a weird insect. Presenting to the students was a lot of fun. I think they behaved though because both teachers were on them. haha.
Have a great week!

tman said...

Ummmm... I just saw a different blog of yours... What the hell is "The Worm Family" video about? TOO FUNNY!